How Do I Get a Personal Licence?

Applications for a personal licence are made to the local authority / council for where the applicant lives. If you are making a premises licence application or any changes to your premises licence, the relevant authority in that instance will be for the location that your premises is located. Don’t automatically assume that you will be dealing with one local authority, quite often the personal licence will be made to one and the premises to another. 

You can apply for a personal licence If you are 18+ and have an accredited licensing qualification (click here to book your exam). 

As part of your application you will need to submit two photographs of you (one must be countersigned as a true likeness), your licensing qualification certificate (click here to book your exam), a DBS check, formally known as a CRB, your disclosure of convictions and civil penalties declaration form, a copy of you right to work in the UK document and finally the application fee of £37. 

The application can be objected to but only if there is a relevant unspent conviction on the DBS certificate. The police have 14 days to object to the application. If they do object, the your local authority would hold a licensing hearing in front of the licensing committee. 

Licensing Solutions make 100’s of personal licence applications each month – you can add this option at the checkout (when making a personal licence exam booking) if you wish for us to make the application on your behalf. 

We will:

  • Conduct the criminal record check (DBS) required by law
  • Complete all the Personal Licence application forms
  • Complete the criminal record declaration
  • Provide the endorsement of your photographs
  • Submit your application to the relevant Licensing Authority
  • charge £125+vat for this service. Disbursements (DBS £18 and Authority fee £37) are mandatory and will need to be paid by the applicant regardless. The personal licence application service, covers both of these fees.